Tuesday 29 July 2014

Reviewing Life with Norms (Part II)

My last post on the subject was primarily answering certain concerns. As it happens, concern statements tend to focus on darkness in life and overlook the light. They also assume that there was (or is) an option to choose an alternative course. I’d like to elaborate on these two aspects today.

Often, I find myself speechless when someone raises concerns; speechless because I don’t know where to begin answering. The two of us are on opposite ends of the stick. He/She’s talking from the standpoint of showing me the dark spots in my life and I want to talk him or her into joining me.

Let’s focus on the brightness.
1.    Experimenting rather than refraining to act has done tremendous good to my self-esteem and confidence. I can imagine how stifled I would have felt had I not taken this path. It has unveiled possibilities, which I was blind to earlier.
2.    I found bandwidth (time and space) to dwell within myself rather than be trapped in webs of complexities.
3.    Turning fears into realities has revealed the magnitude and impact. When I imagine under the influence of fear, I get scared. When the imagination becomes a reality, I move out of the influence of fear and look for a way out.
4.    We’ve realized that there are so many ways to enjoy without taking a break.
5.    We learnt to value whatever we took for granted and never enjoyed their mere existence like electricity, water, food, money, parents, siblings, spouse and children.
6.    There is togetherness about what we do because our life and time is not divided into office, school and household work. There are no ‘No Entry’ zones. Had we not walked this path, we wouldn’t have been what we’re to each other now.
7.    I can’t articulate what the last 18 months have been for children. Being in conditions, where they were able to be themselves, explore firsthand, was fantastic. There’s no way we can imagine how much and what all they’d have learnt.
8.    It’s also very difficult to list what all we’ve learnt.
9.    I realized and still am how liberating simplicity is.
10. I started writing, thus knowing myself more every time I do.
11. I’m in much better shape and far more in charge of my health.
12. I’ve had the privilege of meeting so many others, who are experimenting.

There are so many more. Each of them is huge, when understood from my perspective. As a friend of mine puts it, some of us are blessed with the requisites to conduct experiments in life.
I have no doubt that I’m blessed, blessed generously. I can’t thank God enough.


Now, the aspect of the assumption that we had (and have) a choice with regard to what we do. I think whatever we do is a function of innumerable variables – some personal, some external and some circumstantial. It’s almost impossible to draw up an equation in order to forecast behavior accurately. In this sense, there couldn’t have been anything different we could have done. In other words, whatever happens is pre-ordained. This understanding is tremendously helpful to me, though I can’t imagine people agreeing. At least they’d not classify me with the irrationals, who call it destiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment