Monday 5 August 2013

A week in Hyderabad

The prospect of meeting Anu and Srinivas and living with them for a few days was exciting, but not very  exciting. There was almost nothing about their life that we were yet to know or vice versa, thanks to the long telephonic calls at regular frequency. In a way, the telecom growth has dampened the excitement in personal meetings. I later figured out that the lower excitement was also due to my prejudices that Anu is too judgemental and that it is difficult to converse because I can never identify with her fears. I found my prejudices misplaced.  The highlight of the stay was the equation between Siddharth and Aditya (Anu’s son, 1 month elder). Kids surprisingly didn’t fight much, despite differences. I wonder if the dose of mannerisms is at work or if they genuinely believe in talking rather than quarrelling.
I didn’t have much to do there. They stay in what can be said as a satellite town and there is generally no reason to go to Hyderabad. We had no intention of sightseeing. We spent most of the time indoors. Rekha and Anu spent some time in domestic chores and un-packing (they’re relocated less than a month back). I got an opportunity to update my blogs on Anu’s laptop, spend time with kids and help the ladies as and when desired.
Visiting Aditya’s school reinforced our views of what has happened of schools and strengthened the conviction in our decision to pull our kids out of an urban school. In a discussion, Anu shared that she was not happy with the school, but she wasn’t able to identify an alternative as yet. She felt that the methodology followed by the school in London was better. When I listened to the methodology, I found it to be too structured and would only end up creating a stereo-type even in a creative area like a language. Anu seemed to agree with this point of view as well, but agreement to conviction and conviction to action is a long long journey!!!
Rekha decided to stay back in Hyderabad for a week more and I moved to Mumbai .

No comments:

Post a Comment